Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Farm

It started off as a trip to do some environmental portraits of the owner, as I had a friend tell me about the place and he had said the store would make for an interesting background environment for my portrait.  So I decided to pay a visit to this oasis in the boonies.  Upon arrival I realized this was not your ordinary general store.  The very friendly owner, Steven, greeted me at the door and proceed to show me around the place as I discovered to be your modern day commune.  Steven lives at the store with his young daughter and son, Hope and Isaiah.  Steven, his offspring, and a few interns reside at this place living off the land.  Steven grows all of his own produce organically in his three greenhouses.  They collect dozens of eggs a day from the chickens in the pasture, and keep the whole place warm, including water, by shoving wood in the wood burning stoves.  Along with just working to live they also host a concert or two over the weekends.  Upstairs above the general store is a concert hall where the night life takes place and things come alive.  People from all over come and pack the hall to enjoy the show and the homemade meal Steven and his comrades slave over all day making.  I particularly enjoyed Hope's stuffed mushrooms.
Here are some moments I have captured so far in my exploration.  I have decided to base my final portfolio mostly around this project so I will be uploading more photographs down the road.
Steven
upstairs concert hall
Brad, one of the interns, removing the turkey who thinks he's a chicken from the chicken coop in hopes of putting him where he belongs


Hope cleaning the eggs for the day


No comments:

Post a Comment